|Sarah Jane CLARK
Jesse Gerald Chaney recalled his father, Marble Stone Chaney, mentioning "Aunt Jane" and her husband Bill “Uncle Bud” Cross. In the late 1880s Marble Stone Chaney and his brother Christopher Columbus Chaney reportedly went to stay with them in Oklahoma. Their father had remarried and they did not get along with their new step-mother. After a short time the brothers went to Texas. Marvel settled in southern McLennan County, where other Chaney relatives had settled. Among them was his uncle Hezekiah “Kye” Chaney. Christopher eventually settled in Eastland County, Texas. It is know known that William M. Cross and his wife Sarah J. Clark lived in Carroll County, Arkansas, and later in Coryell County, Texas. Sarah J. Clark was the daughter of Zuritha Chaney who married Elisha Price Clark. This family appears in several census records in close proximity to the Four Brothers. Marvel Stone Chaney was born in 1868 while Sarah J. Clark was born in 1842. In this family, it was customary to refer to older cousins as "aunt" or "uncle."
Name-Var: __ ___ ____ Jane CHANEY
Birth: circa 1842 Missouri (The August 1850 census recorded her age as 8 years indicating her being born in 1842. The June 1880 census lists her age as
36. The 1900 census shows Feb 1833 for her birth but it appears that her age was originally written as 57 then written over with 67. The 1910 census shows her to be 67 years old).1,2,3,4Marriage: circa 1861 (The 1910 census reports them as being married 49 years although the 1900 census seems to report 31 years).3,4,5
Death: 8 Feb 1917 Coryell County, Texas (She was indexed as Mrs. Wiliam [sic] Cross, age 75 years).6
Father: Elisha Price CLARK (b. 9 Dec 1814, d. 31 Jan 1889)
Mother: Zuritha R. CHANEY (b. 27 Dec 1821, d. 4 Apr 1898)
William Marion CROSS
Name-Var: Bill CROSS
Birth: 12 Apr 1838 Tennessee (The 1880 census of reported him to be 42 years old. In the census of 15 April 1910 he was recorded to be 71 years
old).7,3,2,4Death: 23 Jun 1917 Gatesville, Coryell County, Texas.7,9
Burial: 24 Jun 1917 Gatesville City Cemetery, Gatesville, Coryell County, Texas.7,9
Father: William Cross9
Mother: ____ Hicks9
Three Known Children
M William Henry CROSS
Name-Var: __ ___ ____ William M. CROSS
Birth: 25 Nov 1861 Arkansas.3
Marriage: 2 Sep 1883 Thursa Louise BROMLEY (b. 13 Oct 1868, d. 12 Apr 1929); Coryell County, Texas.7
Death: 15 Jul 1893 Coryell City, Coryell County, Texas.7
? (--?--) CROSS
Birth: after 1861 8
Death: before 1900 (Sarah had three children but only one was living by 1900 according to the 1900 census. The 1910 census verifies this).2,4
M James R. CROSS
Name-Var: James A. CROSS
Birth: circa 1864 Arkansas. In the 1900 census his mother had borne three children but only one was living. It is known that James was living in
Created using The Master Genealogist for Windows
1. 1850 census of McDonald County, Missouri, District 53, page (95), lines 28-34, household 33, family 33. 29 August 1850.
2. 1900 Census of Coryell County, Texas, Justice Precinct 1. Gatesville. Supervisor's District 4, Enumeration District 40, Sheet 1A (39), lines 41-43 , household
9, family 9. 1 June 1900.
3. 1880 census of Coryell County, Texas, Supervisor's District 4, Enumeration District 26, page 14A (476), lines 43-47. Household 126, family 128. 8 June 1880.
4. 1910 census of Coryell County, Texas, 31 Main Street. Gatesville. Justice Precinct 1, Supervisor's District 11, Enumeration District 33, sheet 2A (39), lines
25-27, household 31, family 33. 15 April 1910.
5. Information provided in correspondence and various writings of Jesse Gerald Chaney, Sr., to Charles C. Chaney.
6. Coryell County Death Records 1903-1917. Coryell County, Texas. (Coryell County Genealogical Society)
http://users.htcomp.net/ccgs/deaths2.htm (n.p.: n.pub., n.d.)
7. Steve Clark, GEDCOM of Elisha Price Clark and descendants, 2009.
8. Based on supposition, based on the fact that she had given birth to three children but only one was living in 1900. The child, sex unknown, would have to have
been born after 1861 and before 1900.
9. Texas death certificate, Coryell County, #1354. W. M. Cross.